Oh my god, this is the best thing I’ve ever made.
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound boned, skinned chicken thighs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon chile powder
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup Mexican beer (I use Negra Modelo)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 chipotle chile
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1. In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Add to Dutch oven and cook until chicken is lightly golden but not cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from Dutch oven and set aside.
2. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until slightly translucent, about 2 minutes. Add cumin, chile powder and garlic, and let cook another 2 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth to the skillet, scraping the browned onion off the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and pour mixture into slow cooker. Add the chicken, beer, tomato paste, chipotle chile, cinnamon stick and star anise.
4. Cook on high for 3 hours. Uncover, break chicken apart with a fork, then cover and cook 1 hour more.
5. Put the dutch oven to simmer on the stove until liquid has been reduced to taste. When ready to serve, scramble eggs with a handful of broken tortilla chips. Spoon the chicken on top of scrambled eggs. Serve with side of avocado and cotija cheese.