- 6 cups cubed pumpkin bread
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 3 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
Spread bread cubes on a baking sheet, and let dry overnight. Alternatively, heat in a 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) oven until dry, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
Put oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute celery and onions for about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, and continue cooking for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Season with rosemary, tarragon, chives, parsley, salt, and pepper. Fold in bread cubes (walnuts and cranberries if desired), and add enough broth to moisten. Transfer to prepared dish, and cover with foil.
Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove cover, and bake for 10 minutes, or until top is crisp.